Album Review: Preachers Son - Love, Life & Limb

Highly personal debut album from a band consisting of Kila's bassist and Engine Alley's drummer. Preachers Son's debut is a varied collection of mini rock anthems which makes for an absorbing listen.




Preachers Son are Dubliners Brian Hogan (Kíla) and Emmaline Duffy-Fallon (previously of Engine Alley). The debut album 'Love Life & Limb' was released on Oct 15th on Reekus Records. Guest artists on the album include: Gavin Friday, Liam Ó Maonlaí, Kieran Kennedy, Jose Carlos Anselmo Flores and Rori Coleman.


'Love, Life & Limb' has taken up much of my time and my thoughts in the last few weeks. I was instantly engaged with the album from the beginning with the track '26 Years'. It's an anthem of sound with a killer chorus, great lyrics and a real heavy edge. The best songs on the album have all of these attributes such as 'X For Sandra''Lost My Faith' and an album highlight 'This Time of Life'. In particular I love the attitude filled version of 'Son of a Preacher Man'.


I mentioned above that the album is varied and it certainly is. I am a fan of albums having 'Peaks & Troughs' but I found the 'Troughs' to be in general a real let down. The songs like 'Rain' and 'Heaven For The Moment' veer into some weird Nick Cave-like world which is void of charm and direction.


There is an exception to this particular criticism which is the Gavin Friday assisted 'Lipstick' and is another clear highlight in the album. 'Lipstick' is a wonderfully charming song with beautifully arranged strings and delicate vocals. For me it one of the best songs released by an Irish band this year.


Lipstick (duet with Gavin Friday) by Preachers Son




Preachers Son - Love, Life & Limb [10 out of 12]

Buy The Album: http://itunes.apple.com/ie/album/love-life-limb/id399434878
More info: http://www.preachersson.com/



Here's some footage from the Preachers Son album launch which includes performances from The Aftermath and My Evil Ex.

Comments